Inuvik Journal

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

That Northern Feeling

Temp: -20°C
Sunlight - 10.50 hours

Already we are up to ten and a half hours of light. Each day now, between 11 and 16 minutes more are added – that’s an hour and a half more daylight each week. It’s all very strange.

There’s a prevailing attitude in the North that if you are not from here, if you were not born here, then you are a visitor – even if you have lived here for a decent part of your life. It’s a bit of a holdover from the days when men came North in search of what they could take back – like during the gold rush days - to make them rich or famous. There were some though, that just took good stories back with them.

I was aware of this feeling/attitude before I ever came North, and I am even more acutely aware of it now. Not to say that people aren’t friendly – because they are, but there still a sense of being a “come-from-away”. That’s generally a Newfoundlander’s term for anyone living in Newfoundland that…well…comes from away. Although I haven’t heard the term used here, it very well could be.

I suppose, in a way I am doing the very thing that I said I wouldn’t – no I’m not taking away gold, or other natural resources, but if I ever do move from here (no plans right now, by the way) then I will take my memories and some great stories too.

And I have to be honest – I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home