Inuvik Journal

Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Trip Continued...

Feb 26 2006
Temp: -22°C

I woke up (woke up is a loose term considering I didn’t really sleep), to even more pain and a higher fever, and an even sicker stomach. I did my best to carry on as normal, but I really couldn’t. They guys went to gather some wood and look for Caribou, and I didn’t have the strength to go. While they were gone, I decided I would gather my gear and prepare for the trip home, although I had no idea how I was going to endure that trip. It took me a full hour to gather up two bags of gear and get it ready for travel. I tried my best to hydrate and stretch but it wasn’t doing much for me.

The guys eventually came back and we prepared for the trip home. John was staying put for another night, so it was just Julian and I for the trip back. My fever had subsided slightly, but I was still sick and my muscles pained terrifically. It took everything I had to drag myself to the snowmobile and start out – but I did it.

At first the ride hurt badly, but eventually I loosened up a little. We made excellent time and two and a half hours later we were home. Lorie was there to pick me up. We quickly stowed the snowmobiles and I headed home – and straight into a hot bath. Add some fruit juice, some ibuprofen and I was feeling a little better. By seven-thirty I was in bed for a short nap. I slept for twelve hours!

A couple of things had happened to cause my discomfort. First of all I was dehydrated, seriously so. This had caused the sick stomach and headache. The pain and the fever were probably caused by the destruction I had done to my muscles by so much work that day. Riding a snowmobile may sound like fun, and it is, but it is also a lot of hard work. Driving over the tundra had shredded my muscles, the same ones I needed to get me back home…hence the pain.

That’s it for now. Tune in tomorrow for pictures and more.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home