Inuvik Journal

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Visit

Temp: -34°C
Sunlight -11.45 hours

I made the trip to Ulukhaktok today. The flying time is about 2 hours directly North of Inuvik. It’s an interesting place with a population of about 480 souls. There are two stores in town – a Northern Store and a Co-Op. The prices of items there are high, as you would expect.

A local resident had shot a polar bear the day before but it had been long since skinned and the pelt sent South. We didn’t even catch a glimpse of it.

I had planned to get some Arctic Char while in Ulukhaktok, but it was a poor year for Char and no one really wanted to give any up. Understandable, I suppose. I did pick up some really decent Inuvialuit prints, however.

We had lunch at the local hotel which was surprisingly modern and very well appointed. They were only too happy to accept Interact and Credit Card. I got lots of funny looks. When you are new in town, you tend to get the funny looks. Everyone wants to know who you are and why you are there but most are too shy to ask.

While I was eating at the hotel restaurant (basically a cafeteria) a tiny little Inuvialuit girl, about three years old, outfitted to the nines in traditional clothing came right up to me to do what the rest of the folks wouldn’t. She wanted to know who I was, where my home was, and why I was in Ulukhaktok. I would estimate that she was about the cutest little girl on the face of the planet, and as she was asking me these questions, the din in the restaurant quieted, and before long all eyes were on us. I answered her questions as best I could, which did nothing but spur more and more questions. I decided to turn the tables on her, and I questioned her on her clothing – asking which types of furs adorned her hood, and cuffs and fringe on her coat. She knew all the answers, but she was curious as to what type of fur my hat was made of. I told her it was beaver’s fur and that finally satisfied her. I took out a toque that I had just bought at a local shop and asked her what the animal in the picture on the hat was – and she burst forth with “NANUK, OF COURSE!!”. Sure enough – it was a Polar Bear. That got everyone in the restaurant to laughing, including me.

I have a few pictures of Ulukhaktok, but you will have to wait for them, because I forgot them at work.

Cheers!

1 Comments:

  • Nice to read your journal. As someone who has lived here for the last 16 years it is interesting to read a newbies perspective. BTW...Ulukhatok (Holman) is more east than it is north. It is only 2 degrees north of Inuvik but it is 16 degrees east.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home