Inuvik Journal

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Cold, You Say?

Temp: -36°C
Sunlight - 11.58 hours


This was a cold day, and hence we didn’t really do anything after work but take it easy inside.

Cold is a funny thing. We always think of it as the presence of something that causes us pain and discomfort. It is however the absence of something - heat, of course. Humans are truly delicate creatures. If we are subjected to too much heat then we become uncomfortable, and if there’s not enough heat then we become uncomfortable. I figure that we can survive in about minus seventy degrees for a while at least. On the other side of the coin, we could probably survive in fifty-five or sixty degree temps for a while too – maybe more. Given the choice, I would prefer the minus temps…but that’s just me.

When it’s this cold, lots of things don’t work well. You’ve read about my square tires, perpetually iced up windows, and frost burnt skin. Here are some others. The vehicle wouldn’t start today; I forgot to plug it in. I had to use my emergency power box to get it going. When I finally did get the thing started, the radio didn’t work. Hours later and it still doesn’t. I suppose it’s frozen. Also, if you have the need to carry a pen in your pocket in these temperatures, you can forget about using it for a few hours – the ink will be frozen. Even joints don’t work well. I find in particular, that my knees cease up pretty quickly. A few minutes at room temperature and they are back to normal.

It’s not all bad though. If you find yourself at home on a Friday evening with a warm case of beer – no problem – fifteen minutes on the back step and you’re good to go. And what’s that? You’re having a party and run out of ice? No problem! Simply fill the tray with cold water and place outside for twenty minutes. Voila! Fresh ice. I’m sure there are other, non-alcohol-related benefits of the cold too, but I’m not sure what they are right now.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home