Inuvik Journal

Monday, October 02, 2006

Hi Folks:

It's been a while since my last post, I know. Things have been really busy here in Inuvik and at work too. Lorie and I both joined a softball team this summer, so we had lots of fun playing ball, and we met plenty of folks too.

This summer sure was hot! Much hotter than I thought it would be this far north - much hotter than I am used to, for sure. I could barely handle it in fact! If it wasn't for air conditioning, I'm not sure what I'd do. And the mosquitoes - they were absolutely brutal.
Ahhh - but I don't have to worry too much about that any more. Fall has arrived with a vengeance. All the folks around town are talking about how late the snow is this year. It was just below zero this morning and it was cloudy. I have started walking to work again - at least I can do it comfortably now.

This morning I saw a fox on the way to work. That in itself is not an unexpected event in Inuvik, however I saw this particular fox right in the middle of downtown. I guess he was a little lost.

I have had the opportunity to do a little hunting so far this fall. A friend and I bagged seven or eight ptarmingan a few weekends ago. They are not hard to find here. It's a real treat to go ptarmingan hunting and come home with some virtually every time. We are hoping to get a moose within the next few weeks. It's getting colder now and they should be on the move soon.

I have been pretty busy with CASARA this summer and I have been involved in two searches. On the first one the lost folks were found, but the person who was the object of the second search has not yet been found and things aren't looking good for him. I spent most of the days Friday and Saturday hovering just over the treetops in a helicopter. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

It's about nine weeks or so till Lorie and I head back to the east coast for a nice long break. It will be good to see friends and family again. It will also be good to have the break away from work and to eat at all those restaurants that we don;t have here. Can't wait to have a nice big juicy steak!

Well that's a short update too short for after a four month break, I know. I can't promise I will write every day, but I'll try to keep up to posting a few entries a week at least. Be sure to post your questions or comments .

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home